The Royal Society of Biology is looking for an editorial assistant to help with the production of our membership magazine The Biologist and other publications, on a contractual basis.
The role will be based on a contract equating to one day per week (0.2 FTE) and requires some flexibility when hours are worked – so may be best suited to freelancers.
Working with the RSB’s managing editor, responsibilities will include:
- Organising and collating content for The Biologist magazine
- Assisting with the production of good-looking, SEO-friendly web pages – including image resizing, reformatting copy, writing metadata etc.
- Proofreading and checking both print and online content
- Preparing content for social media
- Replying to basic publication queries such as subscription enquiries and requests for back issues
- Other general publications admin
The successful candidate will have:
- A biology degree or equivalent
- An interest in publishing, journalism or science communication
- Excellent written English, grammar and spelling
- Experience of content management systems (CMS); basic photo-editing software; and search engines/social media
- Good organisation and time-management skills
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Speed and accuracy when editing or proofreading scientific copy
- An eye for detail, style, and correctness
- Creativity and confidence with language and images
- A can-do attitude and an ability to meet deadlines
Candidates should have a flexible schedule which allows hours to be concentrated around key dates in the publication cycle. Some home working is possible but candidates should be able to travel to our offices in London one day a week.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to [email protected]. Please include details of relevant experience or links to any work that demonstrates relevant skills.